Be Hopeful!


Have you viewed 2020 memes?  They most often depict something good going awry because it's 2020.  My own memes might include - Me reading a book atop a gigantic pile of laundry in an empty space next to a dryer.  You know the spot.  It's the place where washing machines sit perfectly, right next to the matching dryer but because all three machines in the only appliance store in my rural community are sold, there is no new washing machine!" With Tide pods forming letters over the entire meme,  it would read "It's 2020!"  Or, I could be standing in water watching my children's photos float by me, along with sticker letters purchased to use with our church kids. Miraculously the letters float by spelling out  "I-T-S-2-0-2-0."   Full disclosure, my washer is still in its place, but I can't even read atop that pile of laundry or in my house while waiting for my laundry to wash, because the spin cycle is SO LOUD that my family stops whatever they are doing and puts their hands over their ears- even my neighbors cover their ears! Quite obviously the stickers didn't form any distinguishable word as they floated through the room either - that would have been miraculous! However, it was no surprise that when I started decorating for Christmas, that one of my oldest and favorite pieces was broken.  It is after all, 2020.  

The figurine moved from my childhood home, to my college apartment, my first home,  to a new community and second home, and it will be packed to take with me on our next adventure.   It was gifted to me from my grandparents and it reminds me of Christmas as a child.  I actually remember opening it at their home on Christmas Eve.  Each year, when I pull it out of the box and wind it, I get all the feels.  I literally fall into past Christmas memories.  This year, there was no box - it got thrown out with the stickers, but memories flooded over me (no pun intended) as I removed the tissue paper that was wrapped around it.  My dad had wrapped it in the paper to keep it protected in the plastic container where he placed all the Christmas ornaments and special items he could save for us.  I actually got a little teary seeing my dad, his tough hands, sorting through my Christmas ornaments as if they were as precious to him as they were to me.  Funny thing, if our basement hadn't flooded, I wouldn't have witnessed my dad's love in action on that day in July 2020.  Sweet memory.... but before I change my mind about 2020,  let me continue.  After unwrapping I admired the three little angels, one with a clipped wing, looking down at baby Jesus. I reached to wind the little gold button and it wouldn't move! I tried again! And again.  And, sadly, this is the year the music stopped playing (It's 2020, right?).   I comforted myself with the fact that if it was going to happen, it might as well be this year because I wouldn't be able to hear the music above my washing machine spin cycle anyway. 

2020 has touched our lives in ways that we could not have imagined.   I think it's why when reading my Bible the following verse  jumped out at me like it was advice written just for this year - Romans 12:12  "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer."   This year has definitely required patience and prayer to get through any and every day!  I've thought often about how difficult it is to be joyful in hope and especially in hard times.   2020 has created an underlying fear in many of us, that feeling that something is going to go wrong... just wait and see.  Please, do not be ashamed of feeling sad or having feelings of fear,  anxiety - you are not alone!  Remember, though, that no matter how you feel, God is with you!  

I'm in North Dakota, some say it's God's country, but I think even God may wonder why all Dakotans don't go south for the winter.  Anyway, He's with us here too- in the cold, cold winters!  Surprisingly, the weather this November has been nice, quite the opposite of last year and especially not what I would expect from 2020! A couple weeks ago I was walking with my husband and sharing thoughts about 2020 to which he responded, "Be hopeful."  In that very moment, I was reminded that God is with me.  I wanted to hug my husband in the middle of the street but rather than embarrass him, I grabbed his hand, thanked him and silently prayed that God would show me hope and gave thanks for my hubby.  I expect that by now my previous posts have proven that God doesn't stop working, because you know my story doesn't stop in the middle of the road! That evening I received a text from a friend with pictures from our church decorated for Christmas - the Nativity scene, Advent wreathe and candles, the alter, and the Christmas tree.   Looking at those pictures, I immediately felt renewed hope and... joy!  I knew it was an answer to my prayers so I texted back, 'I prayed to see hope today, thank you.'  

What is more hopeful than the start of Advent?  The walk with my husband and prayer all happened on November 28, the day before Advent began.  That day I hadn't realized the correlation between my asking God to see hope and the start of Advent - the Season of Hope.   This is what reflection does, it brings God into perspective when things seem to be amiss.  This is also why I can say with certainty, God is with you and He is also with me.  Things will go awry,  it's not only 2020, it's life.  

Be patient.  

Be prayerful.  

Be hopeful - it may be the joy your heart seeks.  


Comments

Popular Posts