Grief

Last week my community suffered greatly - two suicides, the anniversary of a suicide and the heavenly birthday of a sweet little boy who died too young.   Last week was dark.  I couldn’t write.  I sat.  I wandered.  I stared out my window and thought - a lot.  I started and stopped a lot of random projects, books and tv shows.  I couldn’t concentrate to save my soul.  

Fast forward to today, I took advantage of the warm fall weather to clean my windows.  Afterwards, I opened the windows and as I cleaned my house a nice breeze blew through the rooms, rejuvenating my spirit.  While dusting, I glanced through the front window, the maple trees had a few scattered leaves left on the otherwise bare branches and I was reminded of a lesson I once learned and held in my heart for a time such as this.   

 

Most of my life, Wednesday nights have been dedicated to either learning or teaching God’s word – mostly learning.  One day I was discussing student questions about God’s existence with a Pastor and I will never forget what he said.  “Laura, if anyone ever questions if God is real, point out a tree.  Every spring a tree is refreshed with leaves and every fall the leaves fall from that tree.  What person makes that happen?  Who can do this? Can you? Can I?  Year after year, the tree is filled with leaves, loses its leaves and the leaves return again.  God does that.  It is truly amazing.”   

 

As I looked out my window today, what I saw could have added weight to my heart- bare branches, gray skies and dry, fallen leaves.   Instead, it filled my heart with hope as I thought about life, Gods handiwork and that conversation.  God has shown us consistently how an empty and seemingly, lifeless tree can go on to flourish and shine its beauty for the earth.  He will most certainly do the same for you and me!  Be patient, God is working on us. 

Comments

Popular Posts